Monday, September 2, 2013

Nutella Powder

Who doesn’t love Nutella? I’m not a big but huge fan of Nutella. Today I made the famous Nutella powder and serve it with home made Churros (instead of cinnamon and sugar). The chemical of the day is Tapioca Maltodextrin/ Maltodextrin. Basically, tapioca maltodextrin turns high fat liquid into powder. It was derived from tapioca and commonly used in food industry to make sauce, sport drinks and baby food. Molecular Gastronomy chefs use tapioca maltodextrin to take their dishes to another level. Some famous powders ever made include caramel, olive oil, bacon and Nutella. Today I’m going to show you of how I came up with Nutella.

It is very simple to use. All you need to do is just throw the chemical and high fat liquid (like Nutella) into food processor and let it mix for a couple of minute. There are no good ratios for this...I followed a recipe on the Internet but it was useless. I ended up adjust it myself to create the texture I wanted. Just to give you an illustration, for this recipe I used 100 gr Nutella and 110 gr Maltodextrin. You don’t wanna throw everything together at once but try to add the maltodextrin a little by a little. If you don't have a food processor like me, you can use hand blender but it will take more time to do it and also more difficult.





You can also try this technique to convert infused oil or other liquid flavour into powder. However, you have to make sure that the liquid is fat enough, or you can try to add heavy cream if the liquid has low fat content. Here are the pictures of what I made today. I hope you give it a go because it is pretty easy and you will be surprised because the powder will melt in your mouth just like eating jams!





No comments:

Post a Comment